Sunday 8 May 2016

The first feed

I said i was going to leave Queen Betty (yes...I'm a little bit odd) in her tube without bothering her for a while. But I'm impatient lol! Everyone seemed a little slow and sluggish all the time so I figured I'd give them a bit of a sugar rush for their first feeding.

In order for the colony to thrive the ants need a water source, sugar source and a protein source. I'll deal with the protein in a couple of days (I have some protein jelly as a back up, but I'm hoping to find some insects in the garden).

For the sugar source I mixed up some honey water (half and half honey and water). They're still in their sealed test tube so I made sure there was nothing trying to make a break for it, took the cotton ball plug out, and used the end of a straw to put a drop in. Then I re-sealed the test tube to stop any strays. 

THEY LOVED IT!!! 



I saw all the ants feeding from the drop at different times except for Betty,  but the workers should be tending to her so I hope they have fed her. They were zooming around the test tube like their arses were on fire!!

Another video showing that they became really active cleaning each other and tending the Queen and just generally being very ant like.



It also looks like the brood is doing well. Can see larvae and eggs in this picture :-). The larvae are definitely getting bigger.



Hopefully they will pupate fairly soon so that we can get excited for the arrival of some new workers :-)

So, I think that because their first feed has gone so well my next update will be about their first outworld. That'll make it much easier to feed them and make things a bit more interesting for them. Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment