Thursday 5 May 2016

Welcome to the blog!

Hello everyone!

So, I'm new to ant keeping. My eldest son asked for Antworld for his birthday back in February which I was more than happy to go along with. I've always said I wanted my kids to have slightly different pets that not everyone else will have (last thing we tried was a little musk turtle...super cute!!). So they've been in the house for almost 3 months now which hes enjoying, along with my other 2 children (although maybe not as much as me hehe!). However, I know we made a lot of mistakes with those ants already, and to be quite honest I'm a big kid and wanted my own ant colony too!! So I have decided to help my boy with his ants in the Antworld, and that I will be using a different setup for a second colony. The idea being the we can see how the two colonies go in the two different setups. The scientist in me always has to put an investigation into things like this!

Since coming into the world of ant keeping, I've done lots of google searches on what to do with them and how best to care for them, and I've found loads of information to help. Its been great seeing all sorts of different ants in tiny, small, medium, large and huge colony sizes, and even watching the videos showing how they have grown and changed. But the one thing I've struggled with is knowing how long it actually takes for the colonies to grow. So, this is why I decided to start this blog. It'll be a great way for me to track whats going on, but it'll also (hopefully) be something that other new (or prospective) ant keepers can use.

I will be writing about the 2 set ups we have in the house. Both have Lasius Niger (common black ants) in them. I figured that was best just incase anything happens so that they can just be released in the back garden without any worries should we need to.

So, I hope you will all find my blog both interesting and useful. I'm so looking forward to this! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment